Code of Conduct for Coaches
I hereby pledge as a Diocesan Recreation Association Coach to abide by the following DRA rules and regulations and the DRA Sportsmanship Code of Conduct for Coaches.
This code is considered supplemental to each parish’s expectation for conduct of its volunteers and agents.
• Remember to do all for the glory of God.
• Interscholastic competition exists for students to foster sportsmanship, leadership and teamwork; coaches should set the example of good sportsmanship.
• Coaches must complete all requirements for coaching as set forth by their parish and the DRA
• Coaches are to comply with all parish and league rules and directives
• Every child is equally important. Coaches must make every effort to ensure that players receive a fair amount of playing time.
• Coaches should always conduct themselves as an example of Christian behavior, both at the field/court and away from it.
• Coaches should be supportive and encouraging in everything they do and say; they should never assault
others verbally or in writing. Coaches should promote children’s competence through positive strategies
and refrain from practices that belittle and humiliate children.
• Coaches should address concerns to officials in a calm manner during dead ball situations.
• Coaches should address their players in a manner consistent with how a reasonable person would expect
their own children to be addressed. A coach is never to address a player from another team unless in a sincere congratulatory or helpful tone.
• Conduct which falls outside that listed at practice is subject to disciplinary measures from the parish
• Conduct which falls outside that listed at a game is subject to disciplinary measures from the DRA
At the conclusion of the scheduled contests all coaches, players and spectators must refrain from confronting the Game Officials about the outcome of the contest. Any person that refuses to follow this rule will be suspended for the season from coaches, playing or attending any DRA contests. Concerns regarding the game or officials must be directed to the league Director.
I understand that ultimately all of my team’s players, coaches and spectators are my responsibility.